Apparently, there were two men on the train tracks at the time that Rod's truck went off. No one knows why they were there in the cold weather, but they were able to call the accident in within seconds. The life flight team were notified 15 minutes after the accident and arrived 50 minutes afterwards. It took another 15 minutes after the helicopter arrived for crews to get Rod out of the vehicle. Once in the helicopter, the nurse knew he needed immediate help and called the nearest hospital. When she notified them however, they told her that the surgeon that would be needed for his legs was not available and that they would probably have to amputate his foot. She made the choice to fly the extra time to the U of U hospital on the chance that his foot could be spared. Once in flight, they were able to intubate Rod and sedate him, making him comfortably unaware for the 30 minute flight.
We are all grateful for their quick response and consideration for Rod. He really enjoyed her visit and is relieved that no one else was hurt. He is continuing his physical therapy and is scheduled for surgery sometime Saturday.
I am so glad the nurse made the decision to bring him to the U. So many miracles must have taken place here. Those men being on the tracks?!! Rod, you are meant to be here. I just started crying because I was just about to say you have important things to do here still. I'm crying because this is something that I need to remember too. I know that my life was spared years ago also. There were so many prayers, service and miracles. I know that you are experiencing that now too. You will have a tougher longer road to recovery than I did, but I have faith that you will endure it well. I think it's extraordinary that you can already say that you wouldn't change anything. It took me much longer to feel that way. Rod, you are such a good person- truly an inspiration
ReplyDeleteMaria Pettit